Ngalmun Lagau Minaral Arts (NLM) supports a strong tradition of artistic endeavor and cultural practices on Mua Island in the Torres Strait. The Torres Strait Islands is a group of at least 274 small islands located in an area lying between the tip of Cape York and New Guinea to the north. The Coral Sea to the East and the Arafura Sea to the west make up its other natural borders.
The aims and objective of Ngalmun Lagau Minaral Arts are:
- To promote and preserve arts, crafts and culture from Moa Island in the Torres Strait
- To provide the opportunity for residents of Moa Island to overcome social and economic disadvantage through culturally based activities
- Provide job training and employment for TSI people
- Promote the art produced at the art centre through development of a sophisticated marketing strategy including entering awards, sales, exhibitions and other relevant projects and activities
- To manage intellectual property rights
- Source, develop and maintain relevant cultural programs
- Ensure an effective, vibrant and safe working environment for artists and staff
- To establish partnerships and effective working relationships with other organisations to help advance Torres Strait Island culture
Artistic inspiration is drawn from ancestral stories, totemic representation and connections to sea, land, sky and family. Artists do not have to look far to be inspired. The island and its surrounding waters and reefs provide a highly diverse set of land and marine ecosystems with niches for many rare or unique species such as Dugong and Sea Turtles.
NLM wholesales and retails a diverse range of quality art reflective of the creative ingenuity of the Torres Strait Island people including:
- Limited edition prints on lino, Japanese wood block and etching plates
- Objects such as ceremonial regalia
- Sculpture from local timber including the Wongai tree.
All works are authentic and produced on the Island.
Many artists from Mua are held in major public and private collections. The Island of Mua is rightfully proud of their fine art reputation and tradition.
Wholesale and Retail
NLM wholesales and retails a diverse range of quality art reflective of the creative ingenuity of the Torres Strait Island people including: limited edition prints, jewellery, woven objects such as Ghost Net baskets and sculpture.
NLM is an incorporated, wholly Indigenous owned and operated enterprise. All works are authentic and produced on the Island.